In 2017, AWS undertook a substantial body of BAL-40 bushfire testing work in order to significantly increase our BAL-40 bushfire tested and certified aluminium window and door product offering. We are pleased to announce we have increased our BAL-40 bushfire rated window and door offering by 33% and extremely happy with the results. This enables you to have a wider range of options when specifying AWS products for bushfire zones. You will notice we have added double-hung windows to our offering and expanded the sliding and bi-fold door range as well.
Living in bushfire prone areas shouldn’t mean compromising on the view, which is why we have also worked hard to ensure our window and door products can withstand the harsh requirements of a BAL-40 bushfire zone without compromising on sizes. Our recent testing gives us the ability to offer larger glass panel sizes as part of our offering, something we know architects and building designers have been waiting for.
- For single glazed window and door products the maximum allowable glass area has increased from 2.90m2 to 4.50m2.
- When using single glazing above 2.90m2 through to 4.50m2 a minimum 8mm toughened glass is required for compliance.
- For double glazed window and door products the maximum allowable glass area has increased from 2.94m2 to 4.50m2.
- When using double glazing above 2.94m2 through to 4.50m2 a minimum 6mm tough / 8mm Air / 6mm tough combination must be used for compliance.
We also had requests to include laminated glass in our double glazed panel testing, providing increased flexibility around achieving acoustic performance in applications requiring BAL-40 certification. The result? We successfully tested a 20.38mm IGU (6mm toughened - 8mm air - 6.38mm laminated glass). Allowing us to offer laminated glass in the second pane of an IGU throughout our range.
AWS ensures that our fabricators manufacture our product in accordance with strict technical guidelines. If required, test reports or certification ensuring product compliance are available on request.
As a result of the recent testing the following products have been added to the AWS BAL-40 bushfire rated window and door product list:
- Series 514 Residential Double-hung Window
- Series 613 Designer Double-hung Window
- Series 453 Commercial Double-hung Window
- Series 463 Architectural Double-hung Window
- Series 442 Commercial D’Stacker Sliding door
- Series 642 Commercial D’Stacker Sliding door
- Series 704B Bottom Rolling SlideMASTER™ Sliding door
- Series 704T Top Hung SlideMASTER™ Sliding door
- Series 704R Recessed Bottom Rail SlideMASTER™Sliding door
- Series 411 Top Hung Bi-fold door
- Series 412 Bottom rolling Bi-fold door
To view our complete offering of BAL -40 rated windows and doors visit our website here
To download the bushfire whitepaper click here
If you have any questions regarding BAL-40 window and door solutions or the recent additions to our bushfire rated window and door offering please contact one of our knowledgeable team members.